McCarter and Nairne

The firm of McCarter & Nairne dominated public architecture in Vancouver from the inception of the partnership between John Y. McCarter (1886-1981) and George C. Nairne (1884-1953) until the completion of the General Post Office in 1958. The respected background and experience of McCarter and Nairne reflected the localization of sophisticated trans-Atlantic architectural practice that both characterized their work and accounted for their success.

The holdings of the Canadian Architectural Archives focus on the architecture of twentieth-century Canada and the work of its outstanding architects. The McCarter and Nairne Collection is a very important one within the CAA's holdings, as it is one of the few whose history begins in the twenties on the west coast. As such, it provides a historical context and complement to the CAA's other collections with west coast roots, like the Thompson Berwick Pratt, Arthur Erickson, and Ron Thom collections.

It is hoped that this inventory, in both its arrangement and detailed information, will encourage both the appreciation and scholarly interest in one of the most historically significant collections at the Canadian Archtectural Archives.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents
McCarter and Nairne 1
Table of contents 8
Introduction 10
Archival Introduction 12
Abbreviations 13
Media Abbreviations 14
Devonshire Apartment Hotel 16
Georgia Medical Dental Building 29
Hotel Vancouver 45
Marine Building 58
Spencers Department Store 101
Vancouver Post Office 131
Vancouver Public Building 171
Guide to the Indexes 196
D 198
C 198
B 198
A 198
Name Index 198
G 199
H 199
J 199
M 199
T 200
S 200
R 200
P 200
O 200
N 200
V 201
W 201
S 202
N 202
M 202
H 202
G 202
D 202
Project Index 202
V 203
V 204
N 204
C 204
Address Index 204
V 206
S 206
R 206
M 206
H 206
T 206
D 206
C 206
A 206
Client Index 206
H 207
F 207
E 207
D 207
C 207
B 207
A 207
Building Type Index 207
P 208
O 208
M 208
R 209
S 209
T 209